I have moved to www.trafotoz.com

May 16, 2017

Gaelic: Is it really worth investing in?

Gaelic was Scotland’s mother tongue and was at some point, spoken by the majority of Scots. Today only 1.1% of Scots speak Gaelic and despite the limited numbers, this still makes it one of Scotland’s oldest surviving languages.

Glasgow is home to the largest Gaelic-medium school in Europe and in 2010, Glasgow University awarded its Headteacher an honorary doctorate in recognition of her contribution towards Gaelic Medium Education (GME). The city has a large number of media companies which include both Bòrd na Gàidhlig and BBC Alba. But when an increase in funding was announced by the previous First Minister, Alex Salmond, people began to complain saying the money could have been spent elsewhere.


According to a recent Scottish Government survey, it shows that Gaelic pupils perform better at reading, writing, speaking and listening than those in English-speaking schools. And despite what many people believe, Gaelic schools do not, nor have ever received more money than English-speaking schools.

Chief Executive Officer at Bòrd na Gàidhlig, Shona MacLennan was delighted with the results, saying “Many studies have proven that pupils in bilingual education are on par with, or outperform, children educated in just one language as well as gaining other benefits.”
Now, a third Gaelic school is being considered and if its plans go ahead, it will increase the number of learners, and in turn the percentage of people who speak it. To me, this proves that the money some say is being wasted, is actually being well spent - not to mention the additional skills our children would be learning.

Broadcast Journalist for BBC Alba, Iain MacInnes said “Gaelic is at the very core of my identity. It just happens to be the language I converse in, work in, and speak to my mates in. Its who I am in the same way that other identity markers are just as important for others. That’s why it’s wrong when people question its very existence. Often these people are just not aware that Gaelic was spoken in the area they lived in, and I think work is ongoing to educate people and normalise the language in Scottish culture.

I come from a home where Gaelic is important to us, but my Mum only spoke a little, although my Dad had more. I wouldn't call myself a 'native speaker' but I am now fluent. I’m in the fortunate position that my children are both learning Gaelic at home as my wife and I both speak. Gaelic is about more than language; it's a culture, a way-of-life, a different outlook on things."

The Gaelic Language Plan 2005 was passed by the Scottish Parliament and seeks to secure Gaelic as one of our official languages. This has since been updated and named The National Gaelic Language Plan, which will run from 2017 - 2022. Their aim is to promote a positive image of Gaelic, increase the use of Gaelic and for the language to gain equal respect to the English language.

Gaelic gives Scotland a unique identity, something no other country has. If you are part of the minority that can speak it, you should be proud. Without Gaelic, Scotland would lose its culture and with it, part of its identity. I have spoken Gaelic since the age of two and understand there are priorities. Gaelic may not be the main focus, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be starved of investment.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

All content copyright © 2014 - 2017 Trafotoz, unless otherwise noted. Template: pipdig